Entry #2, 23rd July - In so far.


A still from the first interview with Grace.


Twenty-six days to go.
This is crazy. It does not feel real. Time is racing.

I guess I should play catch up and log what has happened so far – just so that I can stop worrying about not having recorded it. I can then start worrying about everything I still have to do. Woop.

As i've said many times now, this project has been on my mind for a long time. When I applied for my MA place, I actually wrote a proposal for this project in regards to a bursary that they were offering. Unfortunately, the bursary application was unsuccessful, but I couldn't complain as I was accepted onto the course and given a scholarship. I ended up shelving the project, believing I wouldn't be able to afford it this year.

It was only about two to three weeks ago that I thought this was possible – there was a very slim chance of it working and I thought 'screw it, let's go'. This happened at my final tutorial before my MA group split up for the summer. Pretty much the entire class had turned up for the session, so there wasn't much time for everyone to speak in depth. One by one, each person took their turn to explain their project in three minutes. 'I'm going to Belarus', 'I'm going to Japan', 'I'm going to North Carolina'. Most people's projects started either with them going off to an far-flung place, or following an idea that they've been dreaming of. As it neared my turn, I started to ponder why I was choosing the easy, sensible option. My project idea previously had been to stay at home and to document Whitechapel – an area that's currently in the grips of social & economic change in the lead up to the Crossrail development. By staying at home, I figured that I would get more time to research and work on the project – also saving money for America. It was my turn. 'I'm going to America...'. That's it, I had decided, I knew that it was a now or never situation. If I didn't use the push of university to force me to go over then I would keep putting it off. Money would be an issue, but I thought i'll figure it out or get by somehow. The next problem was – would Bekky be able to come with me?

I started to feel bad. Bekky had done me the incredible favour of leaving her job in Manchester as a junior stylist, her friends in cheshire and the north in general, so as to join me in London. It had taken her a while to adjust, taking her a couple of months to find a job – but she was settling in now, progressing within her company. And there I was, dangling America in front of her, knowing that she wouldn't want to pass up on the trip but likely she would have to quit her job to do so. Somehow though, luckily, this all worked out for the best. She approached her manager about it, who directed her to the store manager; whom was incredibly supportive and invited her out for drinks to talk about it. She told Bekky that she didn't want to lose her, so she would re-hire her as soon as she was back. To make matters even better, she began training Bekky to be a manager. This seems to show that sometimes it's important to show your employer that you have a life outside of work.

So we booked our plane tickets. Oh yes. We booked the plane tickets. I sat with my eyes wide, mouth gaping, as I gazed – bewildered, at the booking confirmation. It was an especially bizarre feeling to see evidence that I would actually be in America in less than two months.

First thing on my list was to renew my American Passport. I've been putting this off for so long that I needed to prove in photographs how my face had changed over the past fourteen years. The main reason for this is I knew it was going to be an incredible faff. You see, my surname on my last American passport is Blagborough. Christopher Martin Blagborough. When I last had my passport renewed, my Mum had remarried; I had been really close to him and had asked to take his surname. Since then, they divorced and I returned to my Father's name, Bethell. As far as I was aware, I did not have any of the certificates showing my change of name, so it was going to be annoying to prove this at the embassy. My Mum sent me over a big file of information – birth certificates, social security number, old passports, etc and I booked my appointment. Friday morning, 10th July 2015, 9.30am.

I woke up, blinded by the sun through my window, in a complete daze. But I guess that's how I wake up every morning so nothing too special there. Getting up, I headed to my wardrobe and started to completely overthink my outfit for the day – what would make me look more American? Should I dig out my old trucker caps? Luckily I sobered up from this ridiculous thought and dressed as usual. I dragged myself out of the flat, onto the network of London's tubes and to the front gate of the Embassy where I was greeted by a large statue of Kennedy and the giant, American flags, trickling in the wind. I chuckled in my head as I walked past the ever-increasing line of people applying for visas, walking straight to 'American Citizen Services'. Here, I had to sign my name, date of birth and confirm that I didn't have any of the prohibited items listed on a sheet that I was given. Any other time, I wouldn't have thought twice about this, but this time I scrolled down through the list. 'Glass Bottles', no. 'Knives', nope. 'Weapons', no way. 'Explosives'..... I panicked. A week previous to this I had been using this bag to carry smoke bombs around Rendlesham Forest. Would there still be any residue from these? Would it be picked up? Luckily, nothing of the sort happened. I was being paranoid as usual. Giving the guards what I hope was a smile, I continued on into the embassy. I won't go into all the details as frankly, it's pretty full, but there was a bit of back and forth about my name change, I had to write a statement and declare an oath that it was true. My mum had also included a photocopy of some document that I clearly was not meant to have as all of the officials I spoke to were not happy about me having it. They took it off me, asked me to pay for my passport and let me go on my way.

So that pretty much bring us up to speed. There is still a ridiculous amount of stuff to organise, but at least i've begun journaling. I've just come back up to Cheshire to interview my Gran & Mum, although we have a few problems that have set us back. The main one being that the sound quality of the inbuilt mic on my camcorder is not clear enough, so i've had to order a RODE external mic. Another problem is that I have absolutely zero energy as this weekend killed me – and it has nothing to do with alcohol/being hungover. I worked 42 hours in three days for Lovebox/Citadel Festivals, including their seven after parties. I threw myself at every hour I could get in order to raise money for this trip. My Mum also had a blood vessel pop in her eye, so she wasn't happy to be filmed – meaning we have to postpone until i'm next up in two weeks.

It's a shame about the sound quality as the interview with my Gran was beginning to get deep. I appreciate how difficult it must be for her to bring up these memories, some happy and some painful. It was amazing to see her talk about her relationship with Joe as it's something she's never really opened up about before. I'm excited to do this properly on my next trip.


One thing that I need to figure out is how to phrase questions so as to prompt answers that make sense once my question is edited out of the clip. So that the interviewee repeats the context of the question. I found this to be quite hard in my last attempt.